Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital of Louisiana: Caring for Avian and Exotic Pets of Greater New Orleans
Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital of Louisiana, formally West Esplanade Veterinary Clinic, is Louisiana’s only veterinary clinic that provides care exclusively to avian and exotic pets. From parrots to rabbits and ferrets to a wide variety of reptiles, as well as a multitude of small mammal exotic pets, we welcome them all to our practice! Located in Metairie, we proudly service the Greater New Orleans metropolitan area as well as South Louisiana and the Mississippi Coast. The following is a short list of services we offer to all of our clients’ exotic pets:
- Preventative medical care for avian and exotic pets
- Boarding (unique housing for each species)
- Medical and surgical care for avian and exotic pets
- In-house diagnostic testing
- 24-hour emergency service
For a more detailed list, see our Services page.
COVID-19 Protocol (edited 3/16/20)
As of right now, we are still open, but in response to the social distancing efforts in regards to Covid-19, we are requesting clients comply with a few changes as far as examination and urgent care appointments:
- Please call from your car and we will let you know when a room is available so we can get you and your pet through the lobby as quickly as possible.
- We are not taking basic grooming or annual wellness exams at this time. Our appointments are being limited to sick and/or injured pets and their follow-ups.
- If you need medication refills, please call ahead of time so they can be filled and ready, and we can take payment over the phone to limit your time standing at the front desk.
- We have sinks with surgical grade hand soap in all 3 exam rooms and the bathroom - please wash your hands upon arrival. We also have hand sanitizer available in the lobby.
If anything changes, we will update here and on all our social media channels.
Thank you for your patience!
Rabbit Low Cost Spay or Neuter for Jefferson Parish Residents
Fix-A-Rabbit Low Cost Spay/Neuter Program funded by Jefferson Parish Annual Rabies Licenses.
The ultimate goal is to reduce the number of rabbits that enter our two Jefferson Parish Animal Shelters. In 2010, 12,636 animals entered our shelters. Since inception of our Spay/Neuter program, we have performed over 40,000 surgeries on pets in Jefferson Parish.
Join the many residents that chose the healthier option and spay or neuter your pet rabbit.
Male rabbit co-payment is $30
Female rabbit co-payment is $50
To participate in the Fix-A-Rabbit program, you must be a resident of Jefferson Parish (a form of I.D. is required) or a caretaker in Jefferson Parish.
The Avian & Exotic Hospital of Louisiana gladly participates in this program. Please call (504) 455-6386 to set up your rabbit's Spay/Neuter surgery.
It is the foremost and ultimate goal of Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital of Louisiana to provide the highest quality of medical, surgical, and nursing care possible to the animals entrusted to our care and to also provide its clientele with the most up-to-date patient care information in the cleanest, friendliest, and most compassionate environment.
As members of the Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians—an organization involved in advancing the veterinary care of exotic mammals—we stay current with what’s new in exotic veterinary medicine. We are also affiliated with the Association of Avian Veterinarians, sharing their goal of advancing avian medicine and stewardship. Lastly, we hold a membership with the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians, an organization that advances reptilian and amphibian medicine, surgery, and conservation worldwide.
Learn More About Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital of Louisiana
Our website was designed with you in mind. Whether you are a new or experienced exotic pet owner, we know you will have questions about your furry, feathered, or scaly companion. We invite you to browse our website to learn more about our Services, Exotic Pet Diseases, and Adoptions.