What Our Rabbit Vet in Metairie Treats
As a rabbit vet in Metairie, Dr. Rich and Dr. Pence treat many common problems with rabbits, including:
- Dental disease, with symptoms such as teeth grinding and not wanting to eat
- Intestinal diseases, with symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, having a rough coat, and more
- Infectious diseases, which can include abscesses, pneumonia, reproductive tract infections, and many more
- Ear mites, where your rabbit will continually scratch at the ears and shake their head a lot
- Skin mites, which look like specks in your rabbit’s fur and can come with dandruff
- Pasteurella infection, which is commonly known as snuffles, with symptoms such as watery and yellow nasal discharge, and loud snoring
- E. Cuniculi, where your rabbit may have a head tilt, a severe postural imbalance, urinary incontinence, and/or eye disease
Contact Us for Bird Care in Metairie
The Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital of Louisiana also provides the following services for rabbits and all exotic pets:
- Preventative medical care, where they are checked over to make sure they’re healthy
- Boarding, with each species having their own area to stay in that suits their needs
- Hospitalization, where we have an avian and exotic pet friendly ICU
- Medical and surgical care, where we provide many procedures and help them to recover
- In-house diagnostic testing with blood chemistry profiles, Complete Blood Counts, video endoscopy, digital x-rays, and ultrasounds
- 24-hour emergency service, where we take on highly critical cases
Dr. Rich is winner of the Oxbow Exotic Mammal Health Award, lecturer at many Exotic veterinary conferences, and deeply involved in local area projects. Twenty years have passed and in that time I cannot begin to count the number of rabbits treated there, all with the best of care. My job as a rescuer of rabbits has been made easier with the support of Dr. Rich, Dr. Pence and the Staff.
I have been dealing with the West Esplanade Vet Clinic, Dr Rich and Dr Pence, since 2006. They are the premier exotics only vet in the Gulf South and one of a small handful that are experienced with chinchillas.. Every chinchilla surrendered to us is taken there for a comprehensive wellness check-up. Many have been treated for a variety of conditions, both minor and serious. After having more than 100 chinchillas seen there, I could not be more pleased with the competency, courtesy and caring exhibited by everyone there. Many of our animals are enjoying happier and healthier lives because of Dr Rich and Dr Pence.
Tom and Tracey L.
We have been breeders of exotic parrots since 1998. Dr Rich and staff are our first and only stop to make sure the breeders we buy are healthy. The professionalism of Dr Rich and his staff far exceed our expectations. Regardless the outcome of the exam we know we can trust the results and advice given by Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital of Louisiana. The clinic is always clean and the staff friendly. We highly recommend all clients set up an appointment to meet Dr Rich and/or Dr Pence. Don’t wait until it’s an emergency. Well visits are very important to maintain healthy happy animals. We are very fortunate to have such well respected, professional and caring exotic veterinarians in our area.
Ashley G., DVM
Dr Rich is the avian expert! The clinic is state of the art, the boarding facility has large, clean cages and the team is very caring. It's with great confidence that I refer my avian patients to West Esplanade Veterinary Clinic.
Karen and Steve M.
My family and I have been associated with West Esplanade Animal Clinic for 14 years now. Dr. Rich has received countless awards for his many accomplishments. He is forward-thinking; always in touch with the latest technology and procedures. His leading edge approach has kept my exotic pets healthy and happy!
Maurice G. and Brenda B.
In June 2013 we opened Bon Temps Ferret Rescue and shortly after contacted Dr. Rich at West Esplanade Veterinary Clinic. Living almost three hours away, we had questions before making the trip with some of our little ones rescued from various situations. Dr. Rich, Dr. Pence and their staff have taken time to return our calls regardless of what day of the week. We have brought in ferrets with varying degrees of medical needs and have always been served in the most professional and caring manner, not only for the ferrets but for us as well in some critical times."